A storm is coming, what do I do?
Follow these safety tips to prepare for a tornado:
- Remain aware of weather conditions, especially if you know thunderstorms or severe weather is imminent. Your local radio stations, as well as national weather sources such as The Weather Channel, are great resources for up-to-date information. However, keep in mind that sometimes tornadoes strike so quickly there is little to no warning, so do your best to pay attention to the weather in general
- Always have an emergency plan in place, so you and your loved ones know exact directions on what to do in the event of a tornado
- This can include maintaining a list of important cell phone numbers, as well as having a kit on standby, containing emergency medical supplies, flashlights, perishable and non-perishable food, and battery-operated items such as portable TVs and radios
- Take shelter immediately, ideally in a basement
- If your home or the building you are in does not have a basement, then a closet or bathroom (ideally, an interior room without windows) is preferable. If nothing else, hide beneath something sturdy such as a workbench or table, and use a mattress or sleeping bag for protection from flying debris. If you are outside, try to find a ditch to lay in, and if you are in your car, rather than outrun the tornado, try to find the nearest durable building for protection. It’s of the utmost importance you do everything you can to protect your head
- Remember, a tornado watch means conditions are favorable for a tornado, but one has not yet been spotted. Conversely, a tornado warning means a tornado has been spotted, and you should seek cover immediately
Rest assured, if disaster strikes your home or business in the aftermath of a tornado or other severe weather, SERVPRO is available to assist 24/7, 365 days a year.Our certified technicians undergo continual training, using top restoration equipment to ensure your storm, water, or other damage is quickly, effectively, and safely remediated. Our commercial restoration process will assist in cleaning up after a tornado or similar natural disaster. We also provide construction services, from minor repairs to full reconstruction of entire areas of your home or business. We are committed to making your property damage “Like it never even happened,” so if you are struck by tornado damage, give us a call.